Friday, April 27, 2012

Is it Public? Or is it Private? How to Create Both.

My first career, before starting my own publicity firm, was as a radio broadcasting talent working at several radio stations including K103 FM here in Portland. I have recently realized that what I had to develop early on in my radio career is something that everyone is now having to learn and develop in their own lives, and that is: How to develop a private/personal life online.

Social media is all about engagement, authenticity, and communication. So was radio broadcasting to a certain extent. We just had the phone, mail, and person-to-person events for engagement, while social media demands engagement and involvement from everyone and more often.

In radio, I had to develop ways of reaching my audience and building rapport with them so that they felt they knew me. From the station's perspective, this brought them more listeners and therefore more advertising dollars since rates were set by the results of the Arbitron ratings. From my perspective, I wanted to entertain my audience and make them feel like they had a friend in me.

In order to do that, I had to create a public/private life. Think about it. When do you feel like you're really getting to know someone? When they share things about themselves at a private level. The superficial level is OK, but it doesn't go very far. At the other end of the spectrum is TMI or "too much information." When someone shares too much, it can be very awkward and can damage a person or relationship. Sharing one's deepest, darkest secrets isn't a good idea either, so, how do we do this? How do we create a public/private life online?

There are lots of ways, but an example of this from radio was while doing the morning drive show, I'd tell a story to my co-host, the news guy. I remember one story was about how my husband and I had had an argument the night before and I wanted to know if he thought I was right, or if he thought Gary was right. I also wanted to hear from some listeners who would then call to give us their two cents. What this did was it created rapport. Notice I didn't share some awful story, some deep dark secret that would embarrass me or my family. No. I shared something that was private but that it was OK if others heard about it since I knew they would be able to relate to it. Anyone who has ever been in a relationship with someone else has had disagreements. I knew sharing about a personal disagreement would be a great way for my audience to connect with me.

So, how does this apply to Social Media? As you are strategically using it to build your business, ramp up your cause, promote an event or service, or simply to add to your social life, think about who your friends or followers are and what they would be interested in. Then post accordingly. Not everyone will like every post, and that isn't the point. It's simply important to discover for yourself what you are comfortable talking about regarding your personal life, and what is off limits.

You get to decide what to share, and share we must. Our connected world now demands this kind of interaction, and beyond that it can be a lot of fun

Do let me know your thoughts below regarding this post. Have you already developed a public/private life, or are you just considering how you'll begin doing that?

Warmly,
Joanne


2 comments:

  1. Joanne,

    Thank your for posting this insightful blog and sharing your own personal experience, and isn't that exactly the point? To some degree, we are our stories and our experience. Aren't people looking to "connect " with a message that resonates with them on either a heart level or an intellectual level? And before they connect, don't we need to gain a certain level of their trust and empathy with the storyteller? Now ,I haven't actually met you yet, (although we were in the same room at the same time) but from your writing you seem like an enthusiastic, sincere, and informed individual. You have gained a level of trust from me as a student by sharing a bit of your history. We also found out we have people in common. This all happened in an online class about social media. Ironic, but drives the point home.

    I believe I have a message and I would like to share that message with my community -- and I want to apply the principles I have learned in life and in places like the class to come through. It is sort of like what Popeye said: "I am who I am"

    This conversation about public/private life has been very helpful for me and I have decided the a public/private life is the only way for me to go.

    ~Mykel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I'm not so sure about this public/private life and question how much I am willing to share in the public sphere. And that really is the question for us all. My husband was upset that our daughter had posted a picture of the three of us on FB. He is a very private individual and I'm a little more "out there". So, what is it for me? Not sure yet. Once I get a more public profile on LI, I'll let you know, or you will be able to find out more directly. All of this said, in my former life I was a nurse and I was used to sharing my private life with my patients because it was a way to carry a conversation while doing patient care. Certainly, I was careful to convey only what anyone might share in a public setting or like what you did Joanne with your listening public. So, I guess it will develop as time goes on with common sense and discernment being my guides.

    Amy W.

    ReplyDelete